Monday, November 17, 2008

My favorite iPhone Apps

I love so much about the iPhone. The only thing I don't love about the interface is the keyboard. I would rather have my old Palm's graffiti or even my Treo's chicklet keyboard.

I am positively addicted to Right of Way, which is an implementation of the Parker Brothers/Hasbro game Mille Bornes. What makes it even cooler is that a friend and former co-worker wrote it! He and his partner also wrote Deep Space Newt (rendition of old Star Trek character graphics game that I played on a timeshare in the mid 70s).

Motion X poker is fun, but is mostly useful to show off the iPhone's capabilities.

GoSkyWatch is simply amazing and is the ultimate use of iPhone technology. You hold it upside down at the night sky and it tells you what stars and constellations are above you. (I paid $29 for it - now it's down to $10)

BibleScope is a very good Bible app that I'm using to track reading the Bible in a year. Olive Tree has the NIV and ESV Study Bible notes available in split screen much like Laridian had for the Treo (and is working on for iPhone).

I need to go back and add links for many of these...

Dynolicious ($13) is spectacular! It's amazing what including an accelerometer and a GPS in a device allows! Although... I'm probably destined for a moving violation. It can calculate 0-60, 1/4 mile and horsepower (based on specifying vehicle weight). It also has a skidpad mode that shows left and right lateral gs through time, which means that it could also be used for autocrossing. $13 + iPhone = $300+ g-analyst!! Way cool.

I really heavily on OmniFocus on my Mac and the iPhone app is great - especially for errands/shopping lists. Jason, who originally recommended OmniFocus to me now uses Things.

Evernote is great for taking, maintaining and syncing notes, pictures, etc. And also can OCR notes to make them searchable. Also voice notes...

iWant brings the "What's near me" feature of Nav systems to the iPhone. It's come in handy a number of times in various places across the country. (it's free!)

Say Who Dialer works as advertised to voice dial your contacts - if you don't have a 3G S.

iBeam would be great for beaming contact info if everybody used it.

Pocket god is fun, but I'm ashamed to admit that I have it.

A Free Level came in handy to prove that the pool table we were playing on was to blame for our bad play:-) But Jason pointed out that Clinometer ($1) is better.

I haven't needed Howcast yet, but I expect it to come in handy.

Phone Aid (was free, now $2) may prove to be useful in an emergency. It's good to have, but I hope I never need it.

Enigmo (was $10, now $2) is engaging and a good use of iPhone touch.

The Facebook app is pretty decent.

Air Hockey ($1) is a cheap fun two player game.

Crash Kart is impressive for an iPhone and reasonably entertaining.

Monkey Ball is very impressive but exasperating 2/3rds of the way into the first level (for me).

MarbleMash (free or $4) and Labyrinth LE (free or $7) are cute fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment